Should You Wear a Wig to the Airport?
Wigs are important tools for people who are experiencing hair loss, chemotherapy, or any other medical condition that causes them to lose their hair. However, nowadays wigs are also worn by people who want to change their appearance temporarily or just because they want to experiment with various hairstyles.
If you need to wear a wig for any reason, there are several things that you should know about how to travel with them. Airlines are generally understanding about the need for this comfort measure. The first rule is that you should not wear a wig if your scalp is exposed. This can result in delays, which makes the airport experience stressful enough without adding more unnecessary time to your wait.
Wearing wigs when traveling through airports is not always the most comfortable option. But, there are certain tips for wearing wigs when traveling through airports to make the experience much better. Be sure to wear a wig that you can comfortably wear all day long. It is also important to be mindful of how long you are wearing your wig so that your skin does not get irritated from the wig cap or headpiece.
Tips for a Successful Airline Travel Experience with Your Wig
- Wearing a wig makes you feel more confident in the airport. It helps you to avoid judgmental stares and awkward conversations. The tip is to keep your wig looking natural by keeping it in place during the process of going through airport security.
Tips for Wearing Wigs When Traveling Through Airports
- Wear your wig before you go through airport security, so it will stay in place during the process.
- Consideration for time is crucial, especially if you are traveling on holiday or for work purposes. Wigs take time to set up, so make sure that your plane leaves on time or be prepared with a backup plan to put it on at the gate.
- Keep your wig looking natural by keeping it in place during the process of going through airport security.
- Put the wig on last before you go through security. Keep it in your purse or carry-on bag until you are ready to take it out at the checkpoint.
- The officer will scan your hair and wig separately, so don’t worry about getting both scanned together.
- If the scanner detects metal, you will need to remove the wig and put it in a separate bin for inspection. The officer will use an electronic wand to scan your hair again after removing the metal objects from your head.
Wigs can be a big part of a woman’s life. Some use them to express themselves and their personality. This is why it is important for women of color to have wigs that work with their natural hair texture. Others need them for everyday life while dealing with medically related hair loss and are equally as important.
Don’t Add to Your Air Travel Stress
- Wearing a wig is a stressful task for those who have lost their hair to cancer or other illnesses. It is even more so when you have to go through an airport, where scanners and pat-downs can create anxiety.
- You can also consider booking a private security line. This will ensure that no one will touch your wig or poke at it. You should also consider wearing a headscarf as well as a wig, just in case it pops off during the flight. Finally, keep your wig away from any metal as this could cause damage to its fibers and affect the quality of your hairpiece.
- One of the most stressful parts of going through an airport for someone with a head covering is going through security scanners and being patted down by TSA officers, so anything you can do to mitigate that will help.
At Bravadas, we provide everything you need to reclaim healthy, beautiful hair. Take our quiz or reach out to schedule your free consultation.