Wigs have become increasingly popular not only as a fashion statement but also as a practical solution for hair loss or a quick style change. With the wide variety of wigs available in the market, finding the perfect one can be a daunting task. Whether you are new to wigs or an experienced wig wearer, understanding how to choose the right wig that complements your features and lifestyle is crucial. In this blog post, we'll provide a comprehensive guide to help you make an informed decision and find the perfect wig for you.
Consider Your Face Shape
Before diving into the vast array of wig options, it's essential to consider your face shape. Different face shapes suit different wig styles. For example:
- Oval faces tend to be the most versatile, allowing you to experiment with various wig styles.
- Round faces often benefit from wigs with height and volume on top to elongate the face.
- Square faces may be complemented by wigs with soft curls or waves to soften the jawline.
- Heart-shaped faces are suited to wigs that add volume at the chin level to balance the broader forehead.
Choose the Right Wig Type
Wigs come in various types, such as synthetic wigs and human hair wigs. Each type has its advantages and considerations. Synthetic wigs are more affordable, easy to maintain, and retain their style after washing. On the other hand, human hair wigs offer the most natural look and feel, can be styled with heat tools, and typically have a longer lifespan with proper care.
Determine the Cap Construction
The cap construction of a wig refers to how it is constructed and attached to the head. Common cap constructions include:
- Traditional Cap: The most affordable option, where wefts of hair are sewn onto a cap made of breathable material.
- Monofilament Cap: Provides a natural-looking scalp appearance, making it appear as if the hair is growing from your scalp.
- Lace front Cap: Features a sheer lace panel at the front, creating a realistic hairline and allowing for off-the-face styling.
- Full lace Cap: Made entirely of lace, providing the most versatile styling options and a natural-looking hairline.
- Get the Right Wig Size: Wigs come in various sizes, and choosing the right one is crucial for comfort and a natural appearance. Measure your head circumference by placing a tape measure around your hairline, just above your ears and eyebrows. Most wigs are adjustable to fit different head sizes, but getting as close to your measurements as possible is ideal.
Select a Suitable Wig Color
Picking the right wig color is essential for achieving a natural look. If you want a color close to your natural hair, consider choosing a wig shade that matches your hair at the roots. However, don't be afraid to experiment with new colors that complement your skin tone and eye color.
Try Before You Buy
Whenever possible, try the wig before making a purchase. Many wig stores offer a fitting service, allowing you to see how different styles and colors look on you. If shopping online, look for websites that have a virtual try-on feature or generous return policies, so you can exchange the wig if it doesn't meet your expectations.
We Can Help!
Choosing the right wig can be a transformative experience, boosting your confidence and allowing you to express your unique style. By considering your face shape, wig type, cap construction, size, and color, you can confidently select a wig that perfectly suits your preferences and lifestyle. Remember that investing in a quality wig and proper care will ensure it remains your faithful style companion for a long time. If you are ready to explore the world of wigs, schedule an appointment at Bravadas for a free consultation and we will give you a private one-on-one experience.